Three universities in the city – Leeds, Leeds Beckett and Leeds Trinity – have services for disabled students. They have general disabled students services, as well as more specific support. Here are a few links worth reading:
- University of Leeds – Disability Services
- Leeds Beckett University – Disability Advice
- Leeds Trinity University – Disability Support
The other two universities – Leeds Arts University and the University of Law – have support services to contact for any enquiries about getting support centred around autism:
Autistic students are able to claim Disabled Students’ Allowance. You can find out more about claiming on the GOV.UK website.
For any autistic students doing a course through the Open University, there is a Disability Support service available.
Leeds City College, Leeds College of Art and Leeds Building College all have student support services which include some provision for disabled students. If you’re a student at any of these colleges or are about to study there, here are some relevant links:
- Leeds City College: SEND/Disability Support
- Leeds College of Building: SEND
- Leeds Conservatoire – Disability Support
Education links for children/young people
The STARS Team are a group of autism specialists who offer awareness training to mainstream schools. They also offer advice to parents and schools on how they can provide the best possible education for autistic children. Here are their contact details:
This is a free school for autistic children in Leeds, run by parents of autistic children. It has four cornerstones of learning:
- Speech and Language Therapy
- Experience and Skills
It offers education from 11-19 and is based in the Cookridge area of the city.
- Website: http://www.lighthouseschool.co.uk/
- Phone: (0113) 457 0605 / 07570 851 203
- Email: [email protected]
Leeds Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Advice Support Service (SEND IASS) is a support service for parents of children/young adults who need information and advice on Education and Health Care Plans (EHCP).
- Website: https://sendiass.leeds.gov.uk/
- Email: https://forms.leeds.gov.uk/SENDIASSGetInTouch
- Helpline: 0113 378 5020 – Monday to Friday, 10am to 3pm
Local nurseries that have special educational needs (SEN) provision:
- Little Rascals Nurseries: http://littlerascalsnurseries.com/quality-childcare/special-needs-disabilities/
- Little Owls Little London: https://www.littleowlsleeds.co.uk/places/little-owls-little-london/
- 22 Street Lane Nursery: https://www.22streetlanenursery.co.uk/senco/