To mark World Mental Health Day 2022, our friends in the Yorkshire Autism AIM team have made an infographic. It is about autism and mental health and has statistics highlighting barriers faced by autistic adults trying to access mental health support.
The stats are as follows:
- According to autism charity Autistica, around 80% of autistic adults in the UK experience mental health issues during their lives
- A report about the Autism Act 10 years on from the National Autistic Society found that just 21% of autistic adults surveyed said they could access counselling services
- A survey by Yorkshire Autism AIM revealed that 91% of autistic adults they spoke to said their sensory needs weren’t being met when in inpatient wards
- The aforementioned report from the National Autistic Society found just 32% of autistic adults felt mental health professionals had a good understanding of autism
Download the infographic
If you would like a copy of the infographic in PDF format. please click on the link below:
Useful mental health resources
On our website and elsewhere, there are some useful mental health resources for autistic adults in Leeds:
- Leeds Autism AIM’s mental health guide: A three-page guide to mental health support available in the city, which includes information on getting GP funding for autism-specific counselling.
- Mental health information: A page on our website with links to mental health support on offer in Leeds, including counselling and crisis services.
- MindWell: A mental health information directory for Leeds.
- Autism Health Passport: A profile made by Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust (LTHT), Leeds Autism AIM, Leeds Autism Diagnostic Service (LADS), Leeds Mind and Leeds Mental Wellbeing Service for autistic adults. It includes a section for communicating your mental health needs.
- Live Well Leeds: A community-based mental health service.
- Leeds Mental Wellbeing Service: Part of Leeds Community Healthcare NHS Trust (LCH), they can offer help you’re feeling stressed, anxious, depressed or worried.
- Leeds Mind: The Leeds branch of Mind, a national mental health charity.
- Leeds Survivor-Led Crisis Service: A service that provides provide out-of-hours support to people in acute mental health crisis.
- Mental Health Foundation – Autism and Mental Health
- National Autistic Society – Mental Health